I don’t know if you guys have taken my 2016 Blog Survey (which, for the record, you can still fill in!) but thank you if you did, and special big thank you to the ones leaving those lovely comments!!!! So much love going for you!
The results seemt to indicate that, even if this blog is plagged with decadent sugary recipes as of lately (sorry I’m on a sugar frenzy and I can’t seem to break free SUGAR SUGAR SUGAR), most of you prefer healthy savoury meals and breakfast recipes too… which I haven’t written much about lately (sorry).
Now a promise given is a debt made, so here’s one fabulous recipe for a warm and comforting bowl of eggplant potato curry that you:
1) Can make in under 30 minutes (!!!!!). Crazy good hot curry in less than an hour??? Which minimal mess?? Can I get a “HECK YES”!!!!!
2) Also, it makes brilliant leftovers so cook away and make sure you don’t ever have to go to uni packing a tupperware of leaves for lunch again. Been there, done that. Don’t try it out unless you want to spend 99.9% of your lunch break staring at your friend’s lunch with a look of lust and desire (even if she’s having some chicken breasts and you don’t even eat meat). Do not pack only leaves, ok?
3) Hey have I mentioned that this curry is actually good for you? Sure I have, I mean, there’s a reason I called it “lighter eggplant potato curry”. Just felt like boasting about it… again.
Made with Ecomil lighter coconut cream instead of heavy cream and packed with vegetables, this is a bowl of curry you can feel good about inhaling in 0.005 seconds. Or 0.002 seconds if you’re really, really hungry.
4) Plus, you guys asked for more cheap healthy meals so I’m delivering! What’s cheaper than potato-based meals? With some rice thrown in so you get some quality plant protein too! I added wild rice because that’s what I had on hand, but feel free to use brown rice to make it even more affordable.
5) And last but not least: how delicious is this??? Crispy potatoes, soft eggplant, spicy onion – all covered in a creamy curry sauce. Can life get any better? Just as good as take-out, only actually cheap and good for you!
Where do I have to sign in so I can enjoy a lifetime supply of curry?????
- 4 small potatoes
- 1 medium-sized eggplant
- 1 onion
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 tbsp. tomato sauce
- 200 mililitres light coconut cream
- 1/2-1 tbsp. curry powder
- cilantro, rice, etc... (to serve)
- Start by washing the potatoes thoroughly and cutting them into small pieces.
- Put them in a bowl covered with plastic wrap and microwave them for 10-15 minutes while you cook the rest of the vegetables. Alternatively, you can just boil them, but that's messier and takes longer.
- Heat 1 tbsp. of olive oil in a pan and add minced onion.
- Sautee for 2-3 minutes until fragant.
- Add the remaining oil and sautee the eggplant, cut into medium-sized cubes, for 10-12 minutes.
- Add the steamed potato cubes and sautee on low for 5 minutes.
- Add salt & pepper to taste and tomato sauce and stir to combine.
- Add in coconut cream and curry powder, stir and cook on low heat for 10 minutes, or until it has thickened a bit.
- Enjoy with some rice and cilantro!
- This keeps well in the fridge for up to 5 days.