It wouldn’t be a lie to say that I’ve been drooling about Averie’s Turtle Caramel Brownies ever since I first caught a glimpse of their pure, unadultered beauty on Pinterest. Holy fricken’ moly guys. Do those look good or whaaaat?
Of course, I knew I had to (more like NEEDED to) make my own vegan version and, like, eat a whole batch of them. And maybe two. Because who knows what’s the limit when it comes to devouring caramel-filled chocolate treats?
I gotta confess that, up until now, I didn’t have much idea on what those turtle thingies were (apart from the cute little animal of courrrrse). Never seen ’em. We don’t have them over here which, if you think about it, it’s probably a good thing because I don’t need yet another reason to abandon all hopes of being 100% human and not mutate into a huge ball which someday will roll out of the house.
Those turtles? They sound addictive. Dangerously addictive, I’d say.
Just like these beauties over here, I have to tell you. I mean, why wouldn’t they, when it’s a fudgy chocolate brownie we’re talking about? So fudgy, so chocolaty and SO filled with crunchy pecans and creamy caramel sauce. Are we in heaven yet orrrrrr?
I’m not going to lie to your face and say that these are “so healthy they will purify your soul and make you the perfect, most functional human being to ever exist” and yadda yadda. Nope, I dropped a huge container of sugar in there. And then more for that saucy sauce. And hey, artificial peanut butter!!!! Don’t tell the health food police pretty please because it’s not as if I needed more points from my imaginary health food blogger card taken away #ooops #idothistoooften
Anyway! These golden are like money in dessert form. It’s hard to describe how good they are, but just let me tell you:
H to the EAVEN!
You need to make these like, yesterday.
- 130 grams all purpose flour
- 60 grams cacao powder
- 100 grams white sugar
- 100 grams brown sugar
- 15 grams ground flax seeds
- 2 tsp. instant coffee granules
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 80 grams olive oil
- 180 grams soy milk
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 cup pecans
- My peanut caramel sauce (1/2 recipe)
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (375F)
- To make the brownie, whisk together flour, sugar, coffee granules and baking powder.
- Add the rest of liquid ingredients and stir until smooth.
- Divide the batter in two and pour one part into a baking pan lined with baking paper.
- Bake at 180ºC (375F) for 10 minutes and remove from oven. Make sure you don't overcook this as it's going in the oven again soon.
- Mix the caramel with 1/2 of pecans and spread that mixture on top of the cooked brownie.
- Top with the remaining brownie batter and pecans.
- Add more caramel of desired.
- Bake again for 15-20 minutes longer.