“How far would you go to enjoy a bowl of steaming oatmeal on a hot summer morning”, a book by me, written from the (un)comfort of my sweaty bed in a dark room where I cry because it’s too hot to do anything.
Porridge though. Who can resist it?
Not me for sure. Give me a bowl of creamy, oaty goodness and I’ll be happy for the next 4 hours (maybe 5 if we put some chia seeds in there because, let’s face it, those lil’ guys are filling like no others). Add some coconut cream and chai spices too and you get yourself a bowl of heaven.
For real, friends, this is what morning dreams are made of. Creamy, sweet, lightly spicy and utterly delicious, you won’t want to have your porridge any other way!
Times like these I wish I live in the southern hemisphere so I was able to enjoy a big bowl of warm porridge on a rainy winter morning. Me, my oatmeal, a couple of fuzzy blankets and a mug of hot chocolate… gosh, I get both excited and disgusted by the thought.
And I mean disgusted because it’s like a bazillion degrees here as I type from my dark (yet still hotter than Pedro Pascal) room and the mere image of a blanket makes me want to die… Someone make a petition to bring colder weather back, because I’m telling you that this girl cannot live on iced coffee and overnight oats only when the real deal is out there.
I want my porridge and I want it so hot that it melts the fruit I put on top. I want my coffee and I want it so hot that I burn my tongue and spend the next 23923 minutes cursing out loud. I want chilly days back. Take my summer shorts and bring my fuzzy jammies back.
And my wooly socks thank you very much.
This one is for you, my southern hemisphere pals! Enjoy a huge bowl for me, hiding under your blanket fort. Because seriously, if you haven’t got yourself a blanket fort, you’re so doing winter wrong and you should give it back to me instead.
Blanket forts and hot porridge for the win.
For the rest of us, northen hemisphere babes, I’ve got some ideas:
1) Move to the southern hemisphere for the next 3-4 months. I mean, there’s gotta be a place for us under all those blanket forts somewhere, right?
2) Have our hot porridge and eat it too. And then proceed to spend the next three hours taking ice showers and cursing the day when you decided to listen to some random gal on the internet who told you to have warm porridge on a scorching summer day.
3) Give up and make these salted caramel overnight oats instead. They might not be as cosy as they warmer counterparts but, boy, are they delicious.
No matter what the question is, oatmeal is always the answer.
- 50 grams rolled oats
- 320 ml. coconut milk
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds
- 2 tbsp. coconut sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. chai spice
- 2 tbsp. coconut cream
- Whisk together all of the ingredients but the coconut cream.
- Microwave mixture for 5 minutes.
- Stir mixture and microwave again for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir again and add 2 tbsp. coconut cream (and more coconut milk if you fancy a thinner porridge)
- Top with diced fruit, syrup, nut-butters, etc...