How to ruin your day in three easy steps:
1. Go to bed the previous night thinking about that gorgeous avocado toast you’re going to eat when you wake up.
2. Proceed to make said avocado toast, just to discover that all the avocados you kept at home decided to give up on you. At the same time. How greaHAHAHAHAHA NO.
3. Go back to your bed, curl up into a ball and cry yourself to sleep because now your breakfast is ruined – THANKS AVOCADO IT’S SO NICE TO FEEL THIS BETRAYED. WHAT DO YOU THINK THIS IS? GAME OF THRONES? HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO DEAL WITH ALL THIS TREACHERY, I DON’T KNOW.
Like, there’s nothing that I like better than making the tremendous effort to get up of my warm, comfy bed to make some toast just to discover that you’re now as black as my breakfast-deprived soul. Gosh, Mr. Avocado, you know how to make this girl happy, don’t you?
That’s the cool thing about oat bakes: they will never ever stab you in the back. They’re chill folks, these oat bake slices. You mix the ingredients the night before go to sleep thinking of the majestic breakfast you’ll be devouring soon; wake up; cry in case it’s Monday; put the stuff int the oven and enjoy a warm square of oat-y perfection which, bonus points, is healthy enough to keep you going until lunch time.
Did I mention there’s this juicy strawberry-raspberry swirl involved? How about a crunchy almond topping? Caramelised edges anyone???????
Not that avocado toasts aren’t nice. If you’re lucky enough the one in a million avocado which isn’t hard as a rock one day, and black as a moonless night the following one, that is.
But it’s nice to keep a stash of strawberry swirl almond oat bake squares in the freezer just in case that the avocado gods decide to let you down one more time.
Can you smell the bitterness in my words? I might or might not have been betrayed by not one, not two, NOT THREE BUT FOUR AVOCADOS this morning.
And I might or might not have been slightly (read: considerably) hungover. And it’s not as if I had slept a mere 4 hours last night OR had a chemistry lecture to attend.
Boy, who wants to enjoy a delicious avocado toast when you can feel like Robb Stark in a wedding for a day instead?
Mark my words, my friends. Don’t let this ever happen to you. It’s best to make a plan B (read: a batch or seven of these) and ensure you don’t ever have to have your day ruined by a gang of rotten avocados.
Don’t say I didn’t warn you.
Now, if you excuse me, I’ll be sitting in a dark corner eating my feelings away ’cause I’m a hangry monster which is still somewhat hungover.
Oh, of all the days you could have betray me you go and choose this one.
Kudos to you avocados.
- 180 grams rolled oats
- 240 grams almond milk
- 1 egg + 1 egg white
- 2 tbsp. almond butter
- 110 grams brown sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 100 grams strawberries
- 100 grams raspberries
- 2-4 tbsp. brown sugar
- Extras: slivered almonds for the top, brown sugar for the pan, etc.
- Whisk together rolled oats, sugar and baking powder.
- Add in milk, vanilla extract, eggs and almond butter and whisk until combined.
- Pour mixture in a greased and sugared baking pan.
- Add spoonfuls of the compote and swirl with a knife until compote is spread through the batter.
- Top with slivered almonds.
- Bake at 200ºC for 30-40 minutes or until golden.
- Mash raspberries, strawberries and sugar and heat on medium until smooth.
- You can use storebought jam instead of the compote if you wish.
Aaaaand that’s all for today. Thanks for all the sweet comments and emails by the way! Sorry it takes me so long to get back to you all – university is crazy at the moment and it’s hard for me to juggle up my studies, marathon training, social life and blog at the same time. Thanks for your understandement and continuous encouragement!
Enjoy your weekend!