If you ever feel bad about yourself, remember that I spend most of my weekends in my pyjamas, laying in front of my laptop binge-watching Game of Thrones while I eat bowls and bowls of this very salad like it is my job.
(((For the record, that’s a job I would adore. Where do I sign??)))
Was that supposed to make you feel better? I don’t know, but I’m sure that this salad will.
Oh boy. OH BOY. This salad is what dreams are made of. THIS is the salad people mean when they say they could “live off just salad for the rest of their days” ((Again, where do I have to sign???)). This salad is the reason I’ve spent the past few days toying with the idea of doing one of those 12-step programs because I’m pretty sure that I’m addicted to it.
But at least it’s salad and not crack what I’m addicted to… it’s something to start, right?
If you like the flavors of Thai cuisine; quick meals which you can make in a jiffy (meaning that you get extra time to watch that GoT scene where Jon Snow strips off (ps: don’t tell mum I said that) and maybe that one when Robb gets to it too)) and healthy, colourful stuff that makes you feel all virtuous and mature when in reality you haven’t worn real pants for an entire week… THIS SALAD IS FOR YOU!
Crunchy veggies with crispy tofu bites, juicy mango chunks, salty chili-lime peanuts (that is if you actually remember to buy them… I mean I could have gone to the store, but putting on pants didn’t sound all that enticing, hence the lack of peanuts today… but you guys are welcome to include them), all dressed with a creamy-dreamy sweet & spicy peanut dressing… see? Looks like you’ll all have to sign up for the 12-step program with me.
Now that we’re at it, I might have to look for one to cure my GoT obsession too.
But let me get back to the salad. You know how I feel x10000 times more productive when I actually make nutritious meals (because apparently you cannot survive on peanut butter toast alone ah) so bare with me while I list you the healthy benefits of this salad:
- Perfect combo of low gi carbs (yay quinoa!), lots of plant-based protein (quinoa, tofu, peanuts and soy yogurt!), healthy fats (gotta love these peanuts!), healthy natural sugars (thanks sweet mango!) and lots of fiber (K, C, B6, A, biotin…) thanks to all those fresh veggies!
- Best part of rainbow salads besides how gorgeous they look? They’re jam-packed with lots of vitamins! This one contains lots of vitamin C, A, K and B6 to name a few.
You know you want a bowl *wink wink*. Get cooking!
- 300 grams "crack tofu"
- 1/2 ripe mango
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1 carrot
- 1/4 red bell pepper
- 1/4 head of purple cabbage
- 1/4 head of cabbage
- a handful of chili-lime peanuts (optional)
- a handful of cherry tomatoes
- 100 grams dry quinoa
- 150 grams soy yogurt
- 40 grams natural peanut butter
- 20 grams tamari sauce
- a drizzle of sriracha, according to taste
- fresh cilantro, lime juice...
- Cook the tofu according to instructions from the post linked.
- Rinse quinoa and cook it according to your package instructions.
- Chop all the vegetables and toss them in a bowl along with the peanuts, cooked tofu cubes and quinoa.
- For the dressing, mix all of the ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Pour dressing over salad and garnish with fresh cilantro and a drizzle of lime juice.
- This recipe makes more dressing that you'll need. You can use the leftovers to dip carrot sticks or dress any other salad or stir-fry!
I hope you all have a great weekend!