Skinny Apple Pie Parfait with Date Caramel

I’m so looking forward to next weekend it’s not funny. I’ll (hopefully) be able to go for my first long run after the half-marathon, and that makes me really excited. It’s been over a week since I last run and I’m missing fresh air so so much! I hate rest days. And naps. Oh well, am I too weird?

Plus, it’s mum’s birthday on Monday, which means that I’ll be making a lovely brunch for her on Sunday, since I’m at school on Monday. Tell me that I’m not the one who ADORES brunch more than anything, please! But how could you not like it, actually? Brunch means poached eggs, salmon, cake, waffles, pancakes, toasts, buns, rolls, crΓͺpes… I should stop now because I’m just back from the swimming pool and I’m starving so this isn’t helping.

These cute apple pie parfaits would make a lovely brunch too. Or an special breakfast, mind you. And you know what? They’re super duper healthy: I didn’t use a smidge or sugar to make them (win!). I love delish, dessert-like breakfast which don’t leave me feeling hungry one hour after I’ve eaten them! Hmm, glazed donuts, I’m looking at you!

Creamy warmly spiced greek yogurt, caramelised apples and walnuts, toasted oats and date caramel… It’s like a big, lovely Fall flavors party in your mouth, how cool is that??

Moreover, now that it’s almost Christmas (because it is, don’t deny it, guys, you like it as much as I do), you’ll need lots of healthy breakfast choices to make up for all those cookies you’ll be eating. Won’t you? I certainly do, as I made 8 batches of cookies last week ((and if I didn’t have brothers who like cookies as much as I do, you bet I’d have eaten them all)), so 100% healthy breakfasts, lunches, and dinners are much needed now.

This parfait is not only filling and delicious, but gluten free as well, and it can be easily made vegan. This stuff needs to be your breakfast soon, I tell you.

I know it might not be as simple to make as these parfaits where Β you only have to Β toss some diced apples and walnuts on top of yogurt and voila, your parfait is ready! The extra step of caramelising the apples and walnuts is SO worth it… and super easy, anyway.

All that you have to do is toast some oats, sautee some apples and walnuts with honey (or your favorite kind of sweetener: coconut sugar, maple syrup… all works!), toss some raisins into the mix and you’ve got an indulgent-tasting, secretly healthy breakfast parfait.

Sorry that there isn’t a proper recipe card today, my plug-in isn’t working (and neither is my server, actually!):

Makes two servings:

1/4 cup oats

2 cups fat free greek yogurt

1/8 tsp. apple pie spice

1/8 cup raisins

3 tbsp. date paste

To caramelise:

1/2 an apple

1/8 cup walnuts

2 tsp. honey (or maple syrup or coconut sugar, etc.)

1 tsp. butter (or Earth Balance, coconut oil, olive oil…)

1. Toast oats in a pan for 1 minute. Stir often so they don’t burn.

2. Heat butter and when it’s hot, add apples, walnuts and honey and sautee for 6-7 minutes until caramelised.

3. Sweeten your yogurt if desired and add 1/8 tsp. of apple pie spice.

4. Toss in raisins, oats, apples and walnuts.

5. Top with date paste and enjoy!

Sorry for the lack of Recipe Card. Now, what are some worth-trying plug-ins?

Consuelo xx

• Reply Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life November 13, 2013 at 11:25 pm

Yes! This looks like the BEST breakfast! The layers are so pretty and each has such a depth of flavor. I usually don’t like rest days, but I went a long run yesterday and since I’ve been sick, paid for it today:) This has been a good rest day. I’m feeling like this parfait will make it even better! Pinned!

• Reply Consuelo November 14, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Those kind of rest days are ok for me too! But I don’t know, I just feel better if I am able to exercise, like, it makes me feel fresher!
      Thanks for pinning! :-*

• Reply mayihavethatrecipe November 14, 2013 at 12:23 am

Sounds like a perfect breakfast to me. I really like the addition of the date paste.

• Reply Consuelo November 14, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Thank you! πŸ™‚

• Reply Shannon November 14, 2013 at 12:45 am

Breakfast is definitely my favorite meal. And this sounds like a wonderful way to start your day.

• Reply Consuelo November 14, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Thanks, Shannon! I’m glad you like these πŸ™‚

• Reply Kumar's Kitchen November 14, 2013 at 2:26 am

this dish is further inspiring us to have breakfast for dinners…so delicious and fabulous food shots πŸ™‚

• Reply Consuelo November 14, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Thank you so much, Kumar! πŸ™‚

• Reply Kristi @ Inspiration Kitchen November 14, 2013 at 3:44 am

Oh my – only one question… why wait for breakfast? This looks PHENOMENAL. I’m adoring it right now. Seriously – it’s my heart.

• Reply Consuelo November 14, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Why wait, indeed? Thank you so much! πŸ˜‰

• Reply Christin@SpicySouthernKitchen November 14, 2013 at 3:51 am

I can’t stop staring at your gorgeous pictures! I’m a big fan of brunch too! Love a combination of sweet dishes and savory.

• Reply Consuelo November 14, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Awhh, thank you so much! You’re so sweet! x

• Reply Josefine {The Smoothie Lover} November 14, 2013 at 11:24 am

Amazing pictures Consuelo! I love that you’ve managed to get some pretty rustic pics.
    I really love brunch. It’s the best thing ever! I wish I had an “excuse” for making one this weekend like you have πŸ˜‰ Have a great weekend!

• Reply Consuelo November 14, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Thank you so much, I’m so happy you like them!
      You too have a great one, and I hope you get to eat brunch soon! πŸ˜‰

• Reply Kelly November 14, 2013 at 12:53 pm

These parfaits look like a fantastic breakfast Consuelo:) I love the wonderful flavors and textures of the topping! Pinning – love these gorgeous photos πŸ™‚

• Reply Consuelo November 14, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Thank you so much, Kelly! I’m so happy you like these πŸ™‚

• Reply Ashley November 14, 2013 at 1:00 pm

I’m a fan of brunch too – we don’t usually do brunch that often, so when we do it feels special! These parfaits sound delicious – I love parfaits in general. Perfect for snacking as well!

• Reply Consuelo November 14, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Neither do I, that’s why it feels so special! Thank you so much, Ashley! πŸ˜€

• Reply Davida @The Healthy Maven November 14, 2013 at 1:51 pm

You have no idea how much I wish I had yogurt in the house right now! And you know I love my brunches πŸ™‚

• Reply Consuelo November 14, 2013 at 3:46 pm

I know how much you love them haha! Thanks! πŸ™‚

• Reply Meghan @ Spoonful of Flour November 14, 2013 at 2:42 pm

I am all about healthy breakfasts at this time of year- love these parfaits,easy and delicious!

• Reply Consuelo November 14, 2013 at 3:46 pm

So am I! Thanks, Meghan πŸ™‚

• Reply Tina @ Tina's Chic November 14, 2013 at 4:32 pm

Ooh, I love parfaits and this one looks delicious!
    I like to be productive, but I like “rest day” every now and then. πŸ™‚ I’m looking forward to the weekend too but that’s just because I don’t want to be at work. πŸ˜‰

• Reply Consuelo November 15, 2013 at 10:28 pm

I don’t want to be at school either, so I kinda look forward to the weekend as soon as Sunday is over, oh well. Thank you, Tina! x

• Reply Allie | Baking a Moment November 14, 2013 at 6:45 pm

This looks so seasonal and delish! I would love one of your parfaits for brunch! The caramelized apples are so tempting!

And I feel your pain about rest days. I’ve been resting for far too long. I can’t wait to get back into my workouts again!

Ps- I use ZipList for my recipes. Before that I was using EasyRecipe. I never had any issues with either but who knows… Good luck!

• Reply Consuelo November 15, 2013 at 10:30 pm

It must feel terrible and I really hope you recover soon! You’ll see that you’ll be working out again in no time! πŸ˜‰
      Oh, thank you! I’ll try one of those πŸ™‚

• Reply Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl November 14, 2013 at 7:15 pm

I would love to serve these parfaits for brunch or for dessert. They look so elegant and delicious!

• Reply Consuelo November 15, 2013 at 10:30 pm

Thanks, Pamela πŸ˜€

• Reply Juliana November 14, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Wow, these parfaits look perfect for breakfast, it is almost dessert for breakfast, I love the idea of caramelizing the apple…yum!
    Thanks for the inspiration and hope you are having a wonderful week Consuelo πŸ˜€

• Reply Consuelo November 15, 2013 at 10:30 pm

Thank you so much, Juliana! I hope you have such a wonderful weekend πŸ™‚

• Reply Laurel y Menta November 14, 2013 at 11:48 pm

Nos encanta este parfait. Y nos encantan los brunch, aunque por aquΓ­ no se estilan mucho…
    Felicidades a mami!!!
    Un besito.

• Reply Consuelo November 15, 2013 at 10:31 pm

Es una pena que por aquΓ­ no se lleven tanto, ΒΏverdad?
      Gracias, chicas. Otro beso para vosotras πŸ™‚

• Reply Ruby @ The Ruby Red Apron November 15, 2013 at 3:56 am

You had me at date caramel. Mmm! This looks too good to be healthy! Love it!

• Reply Consuelo November 15, 2013 at 10:31 pm

Thanks, Ruby πŸ˜‰

• Reply marcie@flavorthemoments November 15, 2013 at 5:51 am

This looks like one fabulous parfait, and no guilt makes it even better! I’d love one any time of day. πŸ™‚

• Reply Consuelo November 15, 2013 at 10:31 pm

• Reply Kiran @ KiranTarun.com November 15, 2013 at 8:29 am

Happy Birthday to your mom! This is a delicious parfait. Send me a bite πŸ˜€

• Reply Consuelo November 15, 2013 at 10:32 pm

Thank you so much, Kiran! I would, but it’s all over now haha

• Reply Elizabeth @ SugarHero.com November 15, 2013 at 9:02 am

These are gorgeous! I could use more recipes without processed sugar–pinning to my healthy eats board! I can’t wait to enjoy these after all my Christmas cookies. πŸ™‚

• Reply Consuelo November 15, 2013 at 10:33 pm

Thank you so much, Elizabeth! I hope you’ll love it πŸ˜€

• Reply Joanne November 15, 2013 at 2:41 pm

I haven’t run post-marathon yet either because I’m trying to take it easy and it’s killing me a little inside! Can’t wait to get back to it. Love this healthy yet kinda decadent parfait!!

• Reply Consuelo November 15, 2013 at 10:33 pm

Yeah, two weeks without running feel terrible, don’t they? Thanks, Joanne! πŸ™‚

• Reply Sugar and Cinnamon November 16, 2013 at 12:16 am

So healthy and delicious looking! I want this for breakfast now πŸ™‚

• Reply Consuelo November 16, 2013 at 12:21 am

Thank you! x

• Reply Anne ~ Uni Homemaker November 17, 2013 at 9:57 am

Love this guilt free parfait Consuelo! I can eat this for breakfast, lunch or dinner. πŸ™‚ Have a great week!

• Reply Consuelo November 18, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Thank you so much! You too have a nice one πŸ˜€

• Reply blahnikbaker November 18, 2013 at 5:37 pm

This is the BEST breakfast!! That’s it πŸ™‚

• Reply Consuelo November 18, 2013 at 10:08 pm

Thank you! πŸ˜‰

• Reply mayihavethatrecipe November 25, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Perfect breakfast!

• Reply Consuelo November 25, 2013 at 10:08 pm

• Reply Things I’m Loving {#6} | My Blog March 22, 2014 at 10:32 pm

[…] Mini Cinnamon Crumb Cups  Inside Brucrew’s Life’s Pecan Cheesecake Pie  Honey and Figs’s Skinny Apple Pie Parfait with Date Caramel  So, do you like square dancing?  Are you ready for Christmas music or are you going to […]