Japanese Cheesecake

{Haz click aquí para ir a la versión en Español}

If you don’t like cheesecake we should totally be bff’s, because that way, whenever we’re together and there’s cheesecake around, I’d get to eat your part. Yeah, that’d be awesome. It’s such a shame that all my friends do like it, because I never get to eat the whole cheesecake, and you guys know I love cheesecake so much that a single piece won’t ever leave me satisfied *sighs*.

I wish I could have eaten this Japanese Cheesecake all by myself, and no, I’m not kidding. One bite and you’ll wish it too. I’d never had thought that it would come out this perfect. Well I did know it’d be all awesome and delish because it is cheesecake and it will always be scrumptious… but this turned out to be so cloudy, fluffy and creamy that it was like eating a piece of heaven.

It has nothing to do with plain cheesecake (which is perfect on its own way), so I recommend trying it if you want a similar dessert that tastes a bit different but it’s still awesome. Is it time consumming? A bit. Worth it? Every second of your time. Fat and sugar laden? Maybe, but I rather think it is made up of air… it is mousse after all!

Have you seen these pictures though? The whites are odd and I don’t have a clue on how to fix the white balance… I mean, I do know how to fix it, but it’s been unfix-able in all my last pictures. I’m sorry for that. Good thing is that I’ll get my DSLR in a few days and oh gosh I’m so darn excited I cannot even use proper punctuation but you guys don’t mind me… so so looking forward to holding it in my hands! And do you know what a new camera means?? Yeah, I’ll have to make this cheesecake again so I can picture it as delicious as it tasted… and therefore I have to eat it again!! And this time I’ll tell no one because I really want to eat it all by myself and no, je ne regrette rien, I like cheesecake and I don’t like sharing it ((and don’t lie to me, you don’t like it either)).

To summarize: make this cheesecake, don’t tell anyone, eat it all by yourself.

Now, let’s see the recipe, which I adapted from Nami from Just One Cookbook. Her recipe is flawless, and all her techniques and tips are really helpful, so if you actually want to make this cheesecake, you should head over to her blog.

Japanese Cheesecake 2

Serves 8
Allergy Egg, Milk
Meal type Dessert
Misc Pre-preparable, Serve Cold
Occasion Casual Party, Formal Party

Ingredients

• 400g light cream cheese
  • 60g granulated white sugar
  • 60g unsalted butter (room temperature)
  • 6 egg yolks (room temperature)
  • 200ml heavy whipping cream (room temperature)
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon rum
  • 80g cake flour
  • 6 egg whites (must be refrigerated)
  • 110g granulated white sugar (for the meringue)
  • 200g raspberry-strawberry jam

Directions

Preheat oven to 160ºC and start boling water for the water bath.
Cream cream cheese and 60 gr. sugar until smooth. Then, add butter and cream again. Add egg yolks and heavy cream and mix again. Now, add lemon juice and rum and mix once more.
Sift flour twice.
Add sifted flour to the cream mixture bowl at once.
To make meringue, make sure that your bowl and beaters are both free of grease and completely dry.
Beat the egg whites until foamy. Add 100 gr. sugar gradually, and once it's all added, keep whisking for 5 minutes until stiff peaks form (refer to Nami's pics, which are super helpful).
Add the meringue to the batter and mix very well.
Pour mixture into a spring form pan and tap to remove air bubbles.
Place in a baking dish filled with boiling water and bake at 160ºC for 60 minutes. Lower the temperature to 150ºC and bake for 30 minutes more. Turn off the oven and leave the door ajar for 15 minutes so the temperature changes don't make the cheesecake collapse.
10.
Let it cool overnight before eating.

Have a great weekend!

Consuelo

• Reply shannon October 5, 2013 at 1:20 am

We could not be best friends, because I too want to eat moreee cheesecake. 🙂

• Reply Consuelo October 5, 2013 at 9:18 am

In that case I could make two 😉

• Reply Nami | Just One Cookbook October 5, 2013 at 6:29 am

Hi Consuelo! Really happy to hear you liked this cake, and thank you for trying the recipe and linking back to my post. 🙂 We really love this cake too and made many times. So light that we can finish it very quickly…. I just shared your link on my facebook fan page. Thanks again!

• Reply Consuelo October 5, 2013 at 9:19 am

Thanks for sharing the link, Nami! And for this wonderful recipe, we loved it at home! Happy weekend 🙂

• Reply Josefine {The Smoothie Lover} October 5, 2013 at 8:30 am

Looks so delicious! Dammit – now I’m craving cheese cake 😉

• Reply Consuelo October 5, 2013 at 9:20 am

Me too and it’s only breakfast time 😉 Thanks! x

• Reply inmagina October 5, 2013 at 11:40 am

Ésta sí que me la apunto, que las tartas de queso son mi debilidad, lo de las claras a punto de nieve va a ser complicadillo y tendré que hacerlo a mano, pero no será la primera vez.

Que delicia de posts, cada vez que entro lo disfruto por toda la paja que metéis, que es lo que le da encanto al blog.
    A mí también me encanta estar en casa mientras fuera cae el diluvio, y yo con mi mantita tumbada en el sofá…jo! quería comentarte otra cosa y ahora no la recuerdo, tendría que volver al texto en español. Comento y si acaso luego vuelvo.

Por cierto, no sé si sólo me pasa a mí, pero las fotos tardan muchísimo en cargarse.
    Besos

• Reply inmagina October 5, 2013 at 11:43 am

Ah si! Ahora…que justo hace 10 minutos acabo de comenzar a leer “Una vacante imprevista” por recomendación de Matt, ya nos diremos que nos parece.
    Más besos

• Reply Maria Jose -Honey and figs October 6, 2013 at 4:41 pm

Nos alegra que te gusten nuestras historias.
      El libro yo ya lo habia leido hace unos meses’ pero al ver el post de Mattme entraron ganas de leerlo otra vez, porque me gusto mucho.
      Disculpa la ortografia y que haya tardado tanto en contestar , pero en fin de semana tengo que hacerlo desde el telefono y es un rollo.
      Besos.

• Reply Kristi @ Inspiration Kitchen October 5, 2013 at 1:53 pm

I lllooovvveee Cheesecake. Can we still be BFF’s? This looks absolutely delicious! On your white balance problem – what program are you using to try to fix it? It’s pretty easy to fix in LightRoom if you have that. If you want help – send me a personal email. 🙂 Oh yea?…and send cheesecake!

• Reply Consuelo October 5, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Yeah, we can 😉 I’ll make two.
      Oooh, I’m a bit ashamed to admit I’m still using PicMonkey… it’s just so easy to deal with! It used to work fine for me, but now I cannot seem to ake it work properly… but I have my new camera now (!!!!) and I think that now that problem is fixed 😉 I tried lightroom a few weeks ago, but I didn’t know how to use it… I might email you later, thanks for your help, Kristi!
      And I’d send cheesecake too, but all of it was gone in a second haha x

• Reply Aimee / Wallflower Girl October 5, 2013 at 2:55 pm

I can’t believe I’ve never made cheesecake… yours looks incredible Consuelo! I love the rum and raspberry flavours, bet it’s *delicious*!

• Reply Consuelo October 5, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Haven’t you? Awww, I hope you get to make one and love it 😉 And thanks, Aimee! x

• Reply thecupcakeconfession October 5, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Ummm yesssss I hateeeee sharing my dessert!!!!! I go on a full – on ninja mode if some one even looks at my dessert plate. THAT.IS.MINE. PERIOD! And its more so when its cheesecake! Obviously cheesecake isn’t fattening… Like you said… it’s all airy, light and cloudy! 😉 Loveeeeeeee this recipe!!! And congratssss on your soon-to-arrive DSLR! 🙂

• Reply Consuelo October 5, 2013 at 9:05 pm

I’m on ninja mode as well hahaha! It isn’t fattening at all… because it tastes like clouds and clouds aren’t fattening, everybody knows that 😉 Thank you so much Samina!! x

• Reply Yeste Lima October 5, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Madre mía, parece que me vas siguiendo el gusto por mis recetas favoritas, la tarta de queso me vuelve loca, aunque ya sólo puebe un trocín.
    Ésta hay que probarla por huevos….bueno perdón, por huevos, por azúcar, por mantequilla, por nata, etc.etc. Y lo siento por mi diabetes pero estoy segura que no me conformaré con un trocín.

Después dices!!!! Me encanta tu forma de contar las cosas, parace que las vaya viviendo mientras leo, buen relato de una tarde de otoño con anécdota incluída.

Sigo pensando que un blog personal sería la monda.

Besos apretaos.

• Reply Maria Jose-Honey and figs October 6, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Si no lleva mucha azucar, mujer, claro que puuedes tomar un trozo!!
      A lo del blog le estoy dando vueltas, no creas, al final veras…….
      Besos.

• Reply Dolega October 5, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Querida, puedes apostar que voy a hacerlo.
    Te voy a contar una historia corta:
    En Panama, en un hotel muy lujoso y caro, hacen (porque lo siguen haciendo) para mi gusto el mejor cheesecake del mundo. Cuando estaba en la universidad iba con frecuencia a comerlo allí y un día le dije al maitre si me daban la receta. Por supuesto me dijeron que no. He comido cheescake por medio mundo, pero como ese ninguno.
    Este tuyo, por las fotos tiene la misma pinta que aquel, como sea la misma receta ¡te hago un monumento! 😛
    Besazo

• Reply Maria Jose-Honey and figs October 6, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Pues ya ves, aquel chef no te la quiso dar, y ahora te encuentras con esta que seguro esta mas buena….No hay mal que por bien no venga, jaja.
      Perdona los acentos, ya sabes que en fin de samanaa no tengo mi ordenador y desde el movil es horroroso!!!!
      Besos.

• Reply Laurel y Menta October 5, 2013 at 8:25 pm

Mª José, nos gusta mucho esta tarta de queso, japonesa o de donde sea…, ja, ja…, qué buen aspecto.
    En general nos gustan todas las de queso, pero ésta tiene una pinta tan extraordinaria!!
    Mucha suerte con la vendimia, que todo acabe perfecto…, y a disfrutar “de verdad” del otoño.
    Besitos.

• Reply Maria Jose-Honey and figs October 6, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Pues a mi me pasa lo mismo, me gustan todas las tartas de queso, pero de verdad que de todas las que llevamos hasta ahora, y ya sabeis que son muchas, es la que mas me ha gustado por lo esponjosa que es. Si es que estos japoneses saben mucho….jaja
      Besitos.

• Reply marcie@flavorthemoments October 5, 2013 at 9:39 pm

If I had some of this, you wouldn’t be able to get it from me…sorry! It’s looks much too delicious to pass up. I really do enjoy cheesecake, too, and this one looks very unique!

• Reply Consuelo October 6, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Thank you so much, Marcie! It is delicious indeed 😉

• Reply Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life October 6, 2013 at 2:43 am

Oh my gosh, I love cheesecake … just had two slices tonight (what can I say:) I’ve heard of Japanese cheesecake, and being 1/4 Japanese, you’d think I would’ve tried it! It looks incredible and that texture – wow. Great job Consuelo!

• Reply Consuelo October 6, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Two slices? That’s awesome, I wish I was you 😉 Aw, I hope you do get to try it and love it! Thanks, Mary! 🙂

• Reply momofnine October 6, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Cheesecake is THE universal favorite dessert! I think your photos have been incredible so I can’t wait to see what you do with your new camera…Looking forward to incredible foodie pics!

• Reply Consuelo October 6, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Aw, thank you so so much Kathy! Your comments make my day 🙂

• Reply Davida @The Healthy Maven October 6, 2013 at 6:30 pm

When I saw the title I wasn’t sure where you were going with the recipe but then I nearly died when I saw it! Looks fabulous Consuelo!

• Reply Consuelo October 6, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Thank you so much Davida! Happy Sunday! x

• Reply Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl October 6, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Hahaha, your friendship opening line made me smile. Maybe we can create a cheesecake stealing thievery team where one of us distracts someone and the other one steals the cake. Then we enjoy together!

• Reply Consuelo October 7, 2013 at 7:08 am

That sounds so cool and amazing! I love the idea 😉

• Reply Allie | Baking a Moment October 6, 2013 at 10:52 pm

I think I made no less than 4 Japanese cheesecakes this past spring, & wasn’t happy with a single one! I will have to try your recipe; it looks perfect!

• Reply Consuelo October 7, 2013 at 7:10 am

4?? I’d love to have eaten every single one of them, I bet they were still delish 😉 I hope you’ll love this one if you try it! x

• Reply Christin@SpicySouthernKitchen October 7, 2013 at 3:23 am

It’s been forever since I’ve made a cheesecake! This one looks so light, airy, and fabulous!
    You are going to have so much fun with your new camera and your pictures are already wonderful so I can’t wait to see what you do with your new camera!

• Reply Consuelo October 7, 2013 at 7:11 am

Aw, thank you so much Christin! Your comments are so so sweet 😉

• Reply Amy @ Elephant Eats October 7, 2013 at 3:34 am

I could easily eat a whole cheesecake myself! hehe. I’ve never heard of a japanese cheesecake but it looks/sounds delicious.

• Reply Consuelo October 7, 2013 at 7:12 am

So do I! 😉 I hope you get to try it and love it! x

• Reply anecdotesandapples October 7, 2013 at 4:38 am

I like cheesecake but Ryan LOVES it. I think he was happy I wasn’t as big of a fan because I always let him finish off my piece. This, however, looks delicious, and we’d certainly fight over every last bite!

• Reply Consuelo October 7, 2013 at 7:13 am

I would fight over this cheesecake too ;-)) Aw, you’re both just too cute! x

• Reply Anne ~ Uni Homemaker October 7, 2013 at 7:32 am

Such a pretty cheesecake! I would love to have a big piece of this. Delicious Consuelo! 🙂 Have a great week.

• Reply Consuelo October 7, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Thank you so much, Anne! You too have a lovely week 🙂

• Reply tere October 7, 2013 at 10:09 am

Tremendo! con los que me gustan las tartas de queso aun tengo pendiente esta, me la guardo! y me llevaria un trocito tb que pena que no pueda, mmmm
    un besote

• Reply María José - Honey and Figs October 7, 2013 at 10:45 am

¿Te llevarías un trocito? Ja, ja, como si hubiera quedado alguno….. no quedaron ni las migas, de lo rica que estaba.
      Besitos.

• Reply Joanne October 7, 2013 at 12:42 pm

I’ve always wanted to try my hand at Japanese cheesecake…so fluffy luscious delicious!!

• Reply Consuelo October 7, 2013 at 10:11 pm

I hope you do get to try it and love it 🙂

• Reply Drink me · Eat me October 8, 2013 at 11:27 am

Veo que vosotras también habéis sucumbido a los encantos de la Japanese cheesecake (bueno, en realidad, yo hace tiempo que tuve que ‘sucumbir’ a todo lo japonés, incluso al idioma, pero no lo digamos muy alto, que el “50%” se envalentona e intenta instaurar los domingos como “el día oficial del sushi en casa”;-)).

¿A qué está deliciosa? Lo “malo” es que, según la pruebas, ya sabes que no vas a poder dejar de comerla e, inconscientemente piensas ‘debería haberla hecho más grande’:-P

Besote

PD. Off-topic: ¿le pasa algo a vuestro Facebook? Quería agregaros pero, no puedo, porque el enlace de la parte superior me lleva a una página de error que dice que la página ha sido eliminada o no existe. Os envié un correo usando el formulario de vuestro blog pero, tampoco sé si funciona ‘properly’:-).

• Reply María José - Honey and Figs October 8, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Efectivamente, el molde era pequeño para lo buena que estaba. Tenía que haber sido al menos el doble de grande. Y eso que yo repetí, jaja.
      Lo de Facebook lo tenemos que arreglar, porque me encargué yo de hacerlo, y dada mi natural incompetencia con la tecnología, creo que no creé bien la página. Intentaremos solucionarlo lo antes posible.
      Un beso.

• Reply Two Healthy Kitchens October 11, 2013 at 2:22 pm

So, I have an idea – why not be bffs with a cheesecake lover, and simply make TWO cheesecakes?!?!? Problem solved, no?!?!? And, since this is undoubtedly made up of “cloudy, fluffy air” there will be no guilt whatsoever in eating an entire cake! See – I’ve got all the angles worked for ya! 😀 Awesome post! Totally wish I had a bff who had made me this so I could be eating it right now!!!

• Reply Consuelo October 11, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Yeah, that’d totally solve my problem but I might want to eat them both hahaha. Thank you so much! Aw, I wish I could send you a piece (if there happened to be any left, you knoe) 😉

• Reply Dulce de Leche Pumpkin Cheesecake with Candied Walnuts | Inspiration Kitchen October 21, 2013 at 12:02 pm

[…] Japanese Cheesecake […]