Brown Butter Greek Yogurt Cake

{Haz click aquí para ir a la versión en Español}

Put your hands up if you can tell I’ve got myself a proper camera. Definition and sharpness that’s it. Because I’m still unable to fix the white balance problem… and the daylight I took my pictures under didn’t seem to want to cooperate *sighs*. But back to the great news:

I now have a DSLR (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and I’m so so excited! Well, I’d totally feel happier if I were done with my work in the fields… grape harvesting is exhausting. Too many hours a day. Too much mud in the field. Too heavy buckets to carry. But it was that effort which paid for my camera, and I’m so thankful to have one that it makes working so hard (a bit) better.

I wish I knew how to use it though. I’ve read a few books on the topic, and I thought I would be able to take such flawless pictures the moment I got it. Guess what: I was wrong. These pictures are way better than the old ones, in my opinion. But I’ve still got to improve… there’s so much to learn and it’s so so exciting! I wish maths were as fun to learn as photography, to be honest!

Anyway, I don’t want to bore you with this whole camera bussines, so let’s talk cake here, shall we? Yeah, you really want to hear about this cake… which should be called the cake. Yep, it is that awesome.

I lost track of how many times I’ve already make this. And shot. Because I have like 23489324 pics of like 5-6 sessions which I tell myself that they’re not good enough to publish so I can make it (and eat it!) again. It’s such a pity that I have finally taken a couple of pics I like, because that means I won’t be able to make this cake as often. *Laughs* Who am I trying to fool here? This cake is so amazing that I’ll still make it on a weekly basis. Or daily, if I had the time.

Have you tried brown butter? Because if you haven’t, you should stop reading this post and go grab a stick or two to brown them. It is the *bestest* thing ever. You don’t know deliciousness until you try it, I tell you. And besides brown butter, I added greek yogurt, which, if you read this blog often, you’ll know to be my favorite thing ever. I like it even better than brown butter (and that’s a lot to say) because it’s so healthy, creamy, tangy, versatile and overall AWESOME that I cannot stop adding it to my food. I dare you to go look for a recipe which doesn’t have it on the ingredients list… there are like two in the whole blog (which probably would be even better with the addition of greek yogurt).

The combo of brown butter and greek yogurt results in a super moist (but not wet!), dense (but not heavy!), sweet (but not tooth-aching sweet!) cake. To be honest, its nutty flavor is so darn amazing that it doesn’t need the cream cheese frosting at all; but I happened to kinda burn it (well, mum did. It was her who kept an eye on it while it was inside the oven) and the top got a bit brown… but not so brown it was inedible… just a bit aesthetic. So cream cheese frosting it was! And man, that stuff was so good that I could have eaten it all before spreading it on top of the cake! Although, yeah, truth to be said, no frosting, glazes or ganaches are needed at all: this cake tastes awesome by itself.

It is also super duper quick to make, plus it only dirties one bowl, which, if you like me hate doing the dishes is a total win. Oh, and it’s healthier than most butter cakes too, because you know, the addition of greek yogurt always make things better. I cannot stress enough how you should stop all you’re doing now and go make this cake. Seriously, go make it right now and email me a piece of it later… All of mine was gone in minutes. This one is my family’s favorite and it will become in one of yours’ too!

I had one three pieces after I came home ravenous from a whole day working in the fields… and it tasted as heaven to me. Although it’ll be just as good even though all that you’ve done that day is taking naps and browsing Pinterest (which is what I planning on doing as soon as this grape harvesting nightmare is over).

Brown Butter Greek Yogurt Cake

Serves 12-14
Prep time 10 minutes
Cook time 40 minutes
Total time 50 minutes
Allergy Egg, Milk, Wheat
Meal type Dessert
Misc Child Friendly, Freezable, Pre-preparable, Serve Cold, Serve Hot
Occasion Casual Party

Ingredients

• 1/2 Cup or 113 gr. butter
  • 200 Gr. greek yogurt (100 gr. full fat + 100 gr. fat free)
  • 150 Gr. sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
  • 3 eggs
  • 190 Gr. unbleached white flour
  • 15 Gr. baking powder
  • 180 gr. light cream cheese
  • 3-4 Tbsp. vanilla sugar

Directions

Start by browning the butter. Cut it into cubes and toss then in a saucepan on low-medium heat until you melt them.
Once melted, keep heating and whisking so it doesn't burn for about 5 minutes. You'll know you've sucesfully browned butter when it's darker in color and your kitchen smells amazing.
Set aside and leave it to cool.
In a bowl, cream greek yogurt, sugar and eggs. Add cooled brown butter and whisk.
Add flour and baking powder and whisk again until no lumps remain. Batter will be thick as custard.
Bake in a preheated oven at 200ºC for 40-45 minutes, until you insert a toothpick in the center and it comes out clean.
For the frosting, cream cream cheese ans sugar together and spread it on top of the cake once it's cooked and cooled.

Note

If you prefer a sweeter cake, either add a pinch of liquid stevia (which is what I do when I'm serving it to people with a big sweet tooth) or increase the sugar to 200 gr.

You can see how to brown butter step by step here.

Make. The. Cake.

(((And send me a piece or two please)))

Happy Monday!

Consuelo

• Reply Kristi @ Inspiration Kitchen October 7, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Consuelo, this looks delicious! I am in love with brown butter – it makes everything taste so much richer! And, i’m a fan of greek yogurt too. I could totally have myself three pieces of this cake for breakfast! Congrats on the new camera. I’ve always thought your photos were phenomenal, but I’m looking forward to seeing shots with the new DSLR! Send me a private email, and I’ll try to help with the white balance problem. I’ve got lots of experience and can maybe help!

• Reply Consuelo October 7, 2013 at 10:14 pm

Yeah, I’d love this for breakfast was well! Thanks for your help, I’ll drop you an email as soon as possible, but I still have to fix the high resolution pictures which won’t let the page load quickly :((( Problems, problems and more problems :((
      Good thing is that in my second shot I set custom white balance and the whites are pretty nice! I’ll show you later! Thanks for your help, dear! x

• Reply Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life October 7, 2013 at 4:25 pm

The color scheme in these photos is great! Don’t worry, you’ll get the hang of it soon … clarity is something I never seem to get in my photos. I didn’t know you worked with grape harvesting … how long have you been doing that? Anyway, I love greek yogurt too (LOVE LOVE LOVE) and this looks like the perfect basic cake recipe. Pinning for future use!

• Reply Consuelo October 7, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Your pics are amazing though! Thanks 🙂
      It’s my first year working on it, and I’ve been doing it for about 2-3 weeks I think… it’s so so exhausting!
      I hope you do get to try the recipe and love it! :-*

• Reply Josefine {The Smoothie Lover} October 7, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Congrats your new camera! I’m so happy for you.
    These pictures are great – and I’m sure you’ll be amazingly good at taking pictures in no time!
    I love love love yoghurt, and I’ve been wanting to add them to a cake for a long time. And I’ve never tried brown butter, so this cake would be a good way of trying it 🙂
    Have a good week!

• Reply Consuelo October 7, 2013 at 10:18 pm

Aw thank you so so much, Josefine! Your photos are such an inspiration to me!
      If you’ve never tried brown butter, you should totally do it… it’s the most amazing food ever, and I’m sure you’d love it! 😉
      You too have a great week! x

• Reply Aimee / Wallflower Girl October 7, 2013 at 5:31 pm

I just finished writing a comment to you then my internet cut out so I’m starting all over again *sigh* anyway, congrats on the new camera! Sounds like you worked very hard for it and it will be so worth it, you’ll see 🙂 I still haven’t even learned the basics of my camera, I’ve just been teaching myself through trial and error mostly but should probably take a class at some point so I can actually know what I’m doing! Your photos have always been lovely though, a DSLR can only improve it. And THE CAKE – the cake looks amazing. Brown butter is sooooo delicious!

• Reply Consuelo October 7, 2013 at 10:19 pm

I hate when that happens :(( Thank you Aimee! Duh, your pics are awesome this way. I looove them! I’m glad you like the cake 🙂

• Reply Galeteria October 7, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Hacía días que no pasaba por aquí y me encanta vuestro cambio de look, os ha quedado precioso!!

Y este bizcocho…me tenía super intrigada lo de brown butter hasta que he leído que tostáis la mantequilla! Qué curioso nunca lo había oído pero ahora tengo muchas ganas de probarlo :))

Las fotos me encantan!!

Un abrazo a las 2!

• Reply María José - Honey and Figs October 8, 2013 at 11:13 am

¡Qué bien que estéis por aquí otra vez! Si llevábais tiempo sin venir, igual no sabéis que ahora soy yo la que escribe la entrada en español, no solamente es una traducción como antes. ¡Pasad a verlo!
      Un beso.

• Reply Monica October 7, 2013 at 9:04 pm

I have made yogurt cake but never with brown butter. I would love a bite of your cake right now to try it, Consuelo. I bet it’s amazing. Thanks for sharing – and your pics look great with the new camera. I also have a DSLR but I couldn’t even tell you which type without looking/asking my husband. Needless to say, I basically just click…and I appreciate the magic of a good camera. : )

• Reply Consuelo October 7, 2013 at 10:19 pm

Brown butter does everything better, so I recommend you try it ;—) Thank you, Monica! x

• Reply Davida @The Healthy Maven October 8, 2013 at 12:41 am

yay for DSLR!!! For the record I had no idea you weren’t shooting with one. Clearly you just have natural talent. I let the camera do the work for me 😉 As per usual, your recipe looks amazing!

• Reply Consuelo October 8, 2013 at 7:23 am

Aw, you’ve just made my day Davida! I’m going to be so happy today, thanks! x

• Reply danelle01 October 8, 2013 at 3:21 am

I love baking with browned butter. This cake looks amazing!

• Reply Consuelo October 8, 2013 at 7:24 am

Thank you Danelle! 🙂

• Reply shannonroche October 8, 2013 at 3:34 am

I don’t know if anyone is every fully satisfied with their photographs. I have gotten so much better, but still have so much to learn. My next step is to stop taking 60 pictures of the same thing, so that I have less to sort through at the end of the day 🙂

• Reply Consuelo October 8, 2013 at 7:25 am

Yeah, I always end up taking too many pics :(( Yours look lovely though! x

• Reply anecdotesandapples October 8, 2013 at 4:53 am

My sweet friend! How wonderful about your DSLR. I would have thought you had one all along! I can’t wait to see what you do with it! This cake looks delicious too. I love the brown butter. Thank you for sharing!

• Reply Consuelo October 8, 2013 at 7:25 am

I didn’t, it was my mum’s phone which I used 😉 Thank you so much, Monet! x

• Reply Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl October 8, 2013 at 5:42 am

I love your pictures and your colors of the dining setup. I just want to come on for some cake and chatting, please! This looks delicious!

• Reply Consuelo October 8, 2013 at 7:26 am

Yes, come over (if there was any cake left hahaha)! Thanks dear! x

• Reply marcie@flavorthemoments October 8, 2013 at 5:43 am

I relate with camera struggles! I struggled so much with my new DLSR at first, and sometimes I still have difficulties. I’m no expert, I know just enough about the basics to get the job done. You’ll get the hang of it! Your photos always look great. This cake looks REALLY delicious! I love Greek yogurt, and I’ll bet that browned butter must make a world of difference. Pinning this to try.

• Reply Consuelo October 8, 2013 at 7:27 am

It’s so difficult to get the hang of it at first, isn’t it? Although I think that your pics do look awesome!
      Thank you for pinning, Marcie! x

• Reply Erin | The Law Student's Wife October 8, 2013 at 6:21 am

CONGRATS on the camera!!! Photography is such a process, and I still have so much to learn. You will be capturing magazine worthy pics in no time!
    PS. You had me at brown butter.

• Reply Consuelo October 8, 2013 at 7:27 am

Aw, thank you so so much Erin! Have a great day 🙂

• Reply Kammie October 8, 2013 at 6:22 am

Mmm oh man this cake looks so moist! Amazing. Your photos are amazing already too! YAY!

• Reply Consuelo October 8, 2013 at 7:28 am

Thank you so so much, Kammie! 🙂

• Reply Jamie@Milk N Cookies October 8, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Consuelo, this cake looks unbelievably moist! Love that you kept it a bit healthier with the Greek yogurt and light cream cheese. That means I can have a second helping, right? Yum!

• Reply Consuelo October 8, 2013 at 10:15 pm

And a third one indeed! 😉 Thanks, Jamie! x

• Reply Ashley October 8, 2013 at 1:13 pm

First, this cake sounds completely awesome. Second, congrats on the new camera! It took me lots and lots of practice to get the hang of shooting with one and even now I still feel like I have so much to learn! But it’s a fun process! Enjoy it!

• Reply Consuelo October 8, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Thank you so so much, Ashley! Yes, it’s so fun indeed 🙂

• Reply Allie BakingAMoment October 8, 2013 at 2:36 pm

Yay! Congratulations on your new camera! What a great feeling to know you earned it with hard work. I can definitely see a difference in your photos! You already have the styling bit down, so now you just have to figure out the techy stuff… I found this chart to be really helpful and easy to understand: http://thetripoddiaries.com/understanding-photography-printable/ But I am still learning… I guess it’s ongoing, but I do think it makes such a difference when you have the right equipment. Good luck and omg that cake sounds phenomenal!!!

• Reply Consuelo October 8, 2013 at 11:03 pm

Thank you so much for everything! I’ll surely check the link soon ;–)

• Reply shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com October 8, 2013 at 3:59 pm

OH MY-Consuelo – this cake looks so delish! it definitely looks moist and dense – just like you said!
    Thanks for sharing – and congrats on the new camera!

• Reply Consuelo October 8, 2013 at 11:04 pm

It is so moist and dense indeed, jusat how I like my cake! 😉 Thanks!

• Reply Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry October 8, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Dont worry you will get a hang of picture taking soon enough and your photographs are already super pretty so you don’t have far to learn. Brown butter with greek yogurt sounds delicious!

• Reply Consuelo October 8, 2013 at 11:04 pm

Awww, thank you so much, Nicole! You’re so sweet 🙂

• Reply Yeste Lima October 8, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Oye no sé si seguir entrando, o dejo de hacerlo o me compro un gran babero que recoja toda mi salivilla…jjaja, es broma lo de seguir entrando, no dejaría de hacerlo aunque me tuviera que duchar después de cada entrada, jjAJA.
    Tiene una pinta que vaya tela.

Me ha encantado ver tu enlace,¡ es que mi niña vale mucho!

Hasta pronto M. José, besos.

• Reply María José - Honey and Figs October 9, 2013 at 11:35 am

Pues si la pinta es buena, imagínate el sabor: insuperable. Tú babea con ganas, pero prepáralo que no te vas a arrepentir.
      Si al final me voy a hacer toda una experta, ya verás.
      Besos.

• Reply Anne ~ Uni Homemaker October 9, 2013 at 6:30 am

What a delicious looking cake Consuelo, love brown butter! And congrats on getting your new digital SLR camera –yay! 🙂

• Reply Consuelo October 9, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Thank you so much, Anne! x

• Reply Sarah | The Sugar Hit October 9, 2013 at 7:41 am

OH MY WORD. This cake really looks wonderful – I love this kind of damp simple cake, especially if it’s amped up with browned butter!

• Reply Consuelo October 9, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Brown butter makes it amazing! Thanks Sarah! 😉

• Reply Joanne October 9, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Yay for your DSLR!! That is so exciting!! It takes a while to get used to…have you heard of the book Plate to Pixel? it’s a great guide for learning how to use your camera!!

Greek yogurt AND brown butter in one cake. Yes I’ll take five slices.

• Reply Consuelo October 9, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Yeah, I’ve read it! It has helped me so much to compose and style my shots (although I still have a lot to learn!), but I find the technic part a bit more complicated!
      I’d take five slices of it too, if there was any left! 😉

• Reply Covadonga October 9, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Ole Ole Mª José!!!! ¿Y tú te autoproclamabas tecnolerda?? De eso nada , me encanta leerte tanto como tus recetas.
    Ahora confieso, yo también soy divinityadicta jajajajajaa Tengo que confesar que la tarde que estoy en casa mientras estoy al ordenador pongo divinity y veo el programa de los gemelos, el de David y Hillary y termino con el organizador de bodas jajajajajaaa. Para mí es Divinity lo que para mi marido es Explorer o cualquiera de los otros donde se construyen megaplataformas o talan bosques o pescan en el Mar del Norte jajajajajajaja

Besinos

• Reply María José - Honey and Figs October 9, 2013 at 2:03 pm

La pena es que yo no estoy en casa por las tardes, pero en cuando tengo un hueco lo pongo. Y no creas, que yo también me entretengo con el “Cómo se hace”, me quedó embobá.
      Besos.

• Reply blahnikbaker October 9, 2013 at 7:28 pm

You had me at brown butter. The cake looks so delicious and I can see why you keep finding reasons to make it every week lol! Congrats on the new camera!! Your pictures look amazing already. everyone says with time you will get the hang of it. I’ve been reading Plates to Pixels by Helene Dujardin and it’s very helpful.

• Reply Consuelo October 9, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Plate to pixel is definitely an amazing book! And so is this cake if I may say so myself 😉 I’ll probably make it again tomorrow or something haha! Thanks 🙂

• Reply Amy @ Elephant Eats October 9, 2013 at 9:29 pm

Congrats on the new camera!!! I actually adjust the white balance in photoshop, after taking the photo with the “Curves” tool. This cake looks SOOOO moist and delicious. Wow!

• Reply Consuelo October 9, 2013 at 10:00 pm

I’ve still have to figure out how photoshop works haha 😉 Thank you so much, Amy! It’s very moist indeed! x

• Reply Ismael October 9, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Que buena pinta tiene Consuelo!!.. estoy deseando probarla 😉

• Reply Consuelo October 9, 2013 at 10:13 pm

¡Gracias! 🙂

• Reply Gemma Gonzalez October 10, 2013 at 12:03 am

Wow! Qué delicioso se ve este bizcocho!!! =) Se me hace la boca agua, en serio.
    …y las fotos me parecen encantadoras y muy bonitas. Enhorabuena por tu nueva cámara, te la mereces!
    Un abrazo Consuelo!

• Reply Consuelo October 10, 2013 at 5:20 am

¡Muchas gracias, Gemma! Un beso 🙂

• Reply Vicky and Ruth October 10, 2013 at 3:04 am

Congratulations on your DSLR, you will get used to it fast. Your pictures are great as well as your props. I love yogurt cake it is one of my favorite things to eat. Never tried browning butter, so thank you for the tip, I will try it soon.

• Reply Consuelo October 10, 2013 at 8:33 am

Thank you so so much! Yeah, try it soon, it makes a world of difference ;–)

• Reply Ashley | Spoonful of Flavor October 10, 2013 at 3:52 am

Looks delicious and I love the gorgeous dishes!

• Reply Consuelo October 10, 2013 at 8:33 am

Thank you Ashley! x

• Reply Two Healthy Kitchens October 11, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Yay, yay, yay on the camera! So excited for you! The pics are awesome! Oh – and also, yay, yay, yay on this cake! I do looooove brown butter (ummmmm … guilty pleasure 😀 ) – you can get so much flavor from just a bit of it! This cake looks utterly amazing, and (of course!) I love the healthy Greek yogurt in there! Brilliant!

• Reply Consuelo October 11, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Thank you!! I’m so excited as well. Yay, brown butter is my guily pleasure too, it tastes so darn nice 😉 xx

• Reply thecupcakeconfession October 11, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Whoaaa!!!! Congrats congrats congrats again on your new DSLR!!!! And your photos are amazingggg! white balance? What white balance? these are perfect! 🙂 and this cake? hellllll yeah!!!! Brown butter is MY ABSOLUTE FAV!!! And add that to Greek Yogurt? I’m all in! Loveeee it!

• Reply Consuelo October 11, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Thank you again, you’re so so so sweet! Yeah, those tow are my favourite things ever and they make a killer cake ;D

• Reply Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner October 11, 2013 at 5:12 pm

Just catching up on some of your posts now…now it makes sense your reference to the new camera! I just bought one too, so funny. Which did you buy? I got the Canon 70D. I’m still practicing with it and haven’t posted any pics using it yet. Why does working with a new camera feel like I’ve never taken pictures before? 😉
    I’m obsessed with this yogurt cake! Seriously. It looks so moist and delicious. I must make it asap!

• Reply Consuelo October 11, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Did you? I can’t wait to see your new pics, I’m sure they’ll look perfect! And yes indeed, a new camera is like a new world: there’s so much to learn! Mine is a Canon EOS 600D ;–*
      Thank you! I hope you’ll love it! x

• Reply Jess Dang (@cooksmarts) October 13, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Consuelo, this looks amazing! I’m not a cake baker, but I do love brown butter, so perhaps I’ll give this a try!

• Reply Consuelo October 14, 2013 at 12:01 am

Thank you Jess, I hope you give it a try and love it :–)

• Reply cookingwithcurls October 16, 2013 at 5:47 pm

I am so jealous Consuelo! I still do not have a DSLR camera…..someday! 🙂 Your pictures look amazing for being a beginner, and that cake….looks absolutely delicious! Thank you so much for sharing with us at Best of the Weekend. Pinned and sharing on facebook this afternoon. I can’t wait to see what you share this week. 🙂

• Reply Consuelo October 16, 2013 at 10:37 pm

Your pictures are beautiful though! Thank you so much, Lisa! I hope you have a nice week 🙂

• Reply How to Brown Butter - honey & figs November 8, 2013 at 4:26 pm

[…] Brown Butter Greek Yogurt Cake – my favorite dessert ever! […]

• Reply Nat December 14, 2014 at 3:25 pm

This cake looks awesome! I’ll definitely be trying out the recipe. However, what type of cake pan (Will a bundt pan be okay?) do I use and do I have to butter and flour it beforehand? Thank you! 🙂

• Reply Consuelo December 14, 2014 at 3:43 pm

Yes, always grease it and flour it! Adding some sugar makes for such a nice crust as well 😉
      I’ve never tried using a bundt pan though 🙁 Just brownie and loaf pans… Brownie pans yield the best results, but loaf pans aren’t too bad either.
      I’m not 100% sure about the bundt pan though… it might take too long to cook and the center might come out raw… but if you do try it please let me know!
      Thank you! xxxx

• Reply brown butter greek yogurt cake | sweet eats & barefeet February 26, 2015 at 3:06 am

[…] recipe here. Step by step photos & converted instructions below […]