The Fluffiest Bread Buns Ever

Guys, stop all that you’re doing now and get yourself in the kitchen.
Right now, I say. You must make these buns now.

I promise you that these are the very best buns you’ll ever try, thanks to a secret ingredient which makes them super soft and fluffy. And buttery, too. But that’s actually because the butter, not the secret ingredient, you know.
I happened to have some leftover whey from making homemade ricotta (which I have to make again soon, because I ate it all before I got to take any pictures… yes, it was that good), so I thought of using that in place of milk. And, phew, it was a truly brilliant idea, because whey turns these buns into little balls of carb-y heaven. And I love carb-y heaven. A lot.
Now, I’m not the biggest fan of plain, white bread. I actually do prefer seedy, nutty, whole grain textured breads, because I tend to find white bread too plain and lacking flavor. But this one?? Man, it blew my mind. These are the best white rolls/buns I’ve ever come across. And my family should have thought the same, because they didn’t last a second at home… and this recipe makes nine HUGE rolls.
Nevermind, they were all gone in a flash.
I must say they make great hamburger rolls, though. And toast, they’re lovely for breakfast with a dab of butter and fig jam. Oh, that stuff is glorious!
Plus these are super easy to make: the dough practically kneads itself, so I highly recommend them if you’re new to bread baking and are scared of yeast. And if you’re scared of yeast, just don’t. Stop right now. Freshly baked homemade bread is something that you cannot live without, so leave your fears aside and start baking.
Sorry for the bossy post guys, I feel so bossy today.
But you really need to make these.
Ingredients:
500 gr. bread flour
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
3 tbsp. melted butter
300 gr. whey
25 gr. fresh yeast
Start dissolving the yeast in the warm water. Add a tsp. of sugar to this so the yeast gets foamy faster. Mix flour and salt, and add melted butter and the water/yeast mixture. Mix with a wooden spoon until you get to form a ball. Let it rest for 5 minutes.
Turn the dough to a lighty floured counter and knead for 10 minutes. This dough is so easy to knead that you won’t need to use any special techniques or methods.
Shape it into a ball and place it into a greased bowl. Grease the ball too and cover with a damp towel Let it rise for 1 hour.
Gently deflate the dough and divide it into smaller parts. I made nine balls of dough out of this, but they were huge, because this bread rises a lot, so I think I’ll try to get twelve balls next time.
Shape each part into a ball and place in a baking tray. Cover balls with a towel and let them rise for 45 minutes.
Bake in a preheated oven at 200ºC for about 20-25 minutes.
I hope you love them!
And if you’re looking for a bread with a more complex flavour, don’t forget to try this recipe for whole grain beer bread. It’s nutty, sturdy and delicious!
I hope you all have a lovely weekend! x

• Reply Christin@SpicySouthernKitchen September 7, 2013 at 12:48 am

Your buns look wonderful Consuelo! I’ve always wanted to make fresh buns for hamburgers but never have. Will have to make some soon!

• Reply Consuelo Morcillo September 7, 2013 at 9:48 am

You should try, they make burgers even more amazing 😉
      I hope you’re having a nice weekend c:

• Reply Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner September 7, 2013 at 1:09 am

I’m craving these buns like crazy! Baking with yeast is scary for me though…I’ll try to get up the courage because I’d love to try these. 🙂

• Reply Consuelo Morcillo September 7, 2013 at 9:49 am

This is a good choice if you’re going to start baking with yeast. They’re so simple to make! I hope you give them a try and love them 😉 And have a wonderful weekend!

• Reply Shannon September 7, 2013 at 2:44 am

They’re so shiny & beautiful! It’s been too long since I have made bread. I am planning on remedying that & making some challah next week!

• Reply Consuelo Morcillo September 7, 2013 at 9:50 am

Challah sounds so good, it’s been on my list for weeks! I’ll make one too soon. Thanks a lot, Shannon, I’m really glad you like them x

• Reply Monet September 7, 2013 at 5:26 am

Well I’m completely convinced. I have got to track down some whey ASAP so I can make these delicious buns. Thank you for sharing them with us!

• Reply Consuelo Morcillo September 7, 2013 at 9:50 am

Real buttermilk might work too but whey makes them truly wonderful! Have a lovely weekend, dear! x

• Reply cquek September 7, 2013 at 6:51 am

i love to have that on a weekend.

• Reply Consuelo Morcillo September 7, 2013 at 9:51 am

Yes me too, and by “on a weekend” I mean “on a daily basis” 😉

• Reply Amy (Savory Moments) September 7, 2013 at 12:54 pm

These look so fluffy and delicious! They would be perfect for all the homemade jams and jellies we have right now.

• Reply Consuelo Morcillo September 7, 2013 at 4:34 pm

They truly are 😉 I’m so glad you like them, Amy 😀

• Reply Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar September 7, 2013 at 1:50 pm

These sound awesome!! Love these 🙂

• Reply Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen September 7, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Fabulous recipe, Consuelo! Brilliant to incorporate whey into your yeast bread recipe! I simply must try this. By the way…added you to my blog reader so I don’t miss a beat. Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend! Pinning!

• Reply Consuelo Morcillo September 7, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Whey gives wonderful results!
      I tried to add your blog to my feedly a couple of weeks ago and I couldn’t, I don’t know why :(( I’ll try again today, because I really like your blog 😉
      Thanks a lot and you too have a lovely weekend x

• Reply Mary Frances McNellis September 7, 2013 at 3:24 pm

I know, homemade bread is incredible. I’m normally a whole wheat gal, but if you say I need to make this, then I’ll take your word for it. They look delicious! (Because hug makes things automatically better in my book:) the second pic is a great one. Have a wonderful weekend Consuelo!

• Reply Consuelo Morcillo September 7, 2013 at 4:37 pm

These are just as tasty as wholewheat, they don’t lack flavour at all! Thank you so much and you too have a fantastic weekend :-*

• Reply Shelley @ Two Healthy Kitchens September 7, 2013 at 4:10 pm

I just found your blog (noticed a comment you left over at Pick Fresh Foods), and I’m so glad I did! Love the gorgeous photography! And, I think it’s just awesome that you’re a mother-daughter team. Isn’t it fun to blog with a buddy!?!? I would be so happy if my daughter grows up to help with my blog – I’ll have to show her you guys as a shining example! 😀 Anyway – this recipe looks fabulous and I’ve had such fun checking out some of your other great posts this morning, as well! You’ve got a new fan!

• Reply Consuelo Morcillo September 7, 2013 at 4:39 pm

Awh, thank you so so much, Shelley! This comment made my day 🙂
      I’ve just checked your blog and now I think I’m in love. Your recipes are wonderful and so are your pictures! I’ll add it to my feedly.
      Thank you so so much, you’ve got a new fan too!
      Have a nice day x

• Reply Aimee / Wallflower Girl September 7, 2013 at 7:46 pm

I’m always saying I should make my own buns but never do. I’d love to make these with a sprinkle of sesame seeds on top, that would be perfect! Must keep this bookmarked for the next time I make burgers. Although I’m sure they’re delicious on their own too 🙂

• Reply Consuelo Morcillo September 7, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Yeah, they’re fantastic on their own too! And sesame seeds? That’s a pretty nice idea, I must try that next time 😉
      Have a nice weekend Aimee! x

• Reply Shut Up and Cook | The Attainable Gourmet September 8, 2013 at 12:10 am

These look absolutely phenomenal…and I love how few ingredients are required. Sign me up!

• Reply Samina | The Cupcake Confession September 8, 2013 at 5:16 am

hahah!!! I loveeee how you said that thing about being bossy!! 😀 And yeahhh Totally have to agree with you that homemade bread is THE BEST! and the buns you have made? They look beyond AMAZING!!!!! and the butter and fig jam on it just makes it better! yummmmmm!!!! 🙂

• Reply Consuelo Morcillo September 8, 2013 at 8:57 am

I tend to get so bossy so often haha! Fig jam and butter make just about everything better, don’t they? 😉 Yay, I’m so glad you like them! x

• Reply Allie BakingAMoment September 8, 2013 at 3:43 pm

Wow… I never would have thought, whey? Even better than milk… brilliant idea, Consuelo, and the rolls look beautiful. Love the styling on your photos this post. PS- isn’t homemade ricotta so delish and easy??? Just made it for the first time myself, a couple weeks ago. 😉

• Reply Consuelo Morcillo September 8, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Whey works wonders here, you definitely have to try it 😉
      Thank you so so much, your pictures are always so perfect that it feels such a wonderful compliment coming from you!
      And ricotta is so ncie, indeed! And easy! I have to make it soon again x

• Reply cooking with curls September 8, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Those buns look absolutely delicious! I have no idea where to find whey, but I will give it a shot. I love making bread, so I definitely need to try these 🙂

• Reply Consuelo Morcillo September 8, 2013 at 6:00 pm

You can get whey by straining plain yogurt in order to make greek yogurt or as a by-product from making cottage cheese/ricotta. It’s very easy to make, anyways!
      Thank you so much, Lisa! 😀

• Reply Tere Marinval September 8, 2013 at 6:57 pm

yo lo dejaria todo sin dudarlo por un bollito de estos para merendar ahora mismo!jaja
    que ricos por dios, te han quedado de vicio. un besote

• Reply Cindy Fanning September 9, 2013 at 1:26 am

You’re funny 😀 These look delicious and I love breads. I think bread is my ultimate weakness. I can’t be around it would having some. Oh and homemade bread…my mouth is watering. lol I love that you added some whey. Very clever!

• Reply Consuelo Morcillo September 9, 2013 at 9:02 am

Same here, I love it so much! And whey makes it so fluffy, you should try it 😉 x

• Reply Kristi @ Inspiration Kitchen September 9, 2013 at 1:37 am

Oh yum! I think I just found my new hamburger bun recipe! Haha! Thanks for the tip. I think I’ll try these with my grinder sandwiches too.

• Reply Consuelo Morcillo September 9, 2013 at 9:03 am

They would be perfect for sandwiches too! I have to make another batch soon 😉 Thanks, Kristi! x

• Reply Joanne September 9, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Who knew whey could confer so much magic upon these!! They really do look like fluffballs!

• Reply Shashi Charles September 9, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Consuelo – these buns look fabulous! So light and fluffy indeed! These would be great with the peach jelly I have 🙂

• Reply Ashley September 9, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Homemade bread is definitely the best! Your rolls came out gorgeous! Hope you had a great weekend!!