Puff Pastry Apple Tarts with Salted Caramel Drizzle

{Receta en Español aquí}

Thanks God it’s Friday already! It’s going to be my first proper weekend in a while, because we’re finally done with grape harvest (woo!), enter tons of homework instead. At least homework isn’t that painful. Although maths are.

I wish I had no homework and I could go to the school with the only purpose of learning. I love learning, I hate studying… In my opinion, there’s no point in studying something you don’t truly enjoy learning. It’s going to be worthless, because I think you’ll forget it once you’ve taken your exams, but that’s my point of view.

If only there were no exams, I:

a) Would attend to classes happier because there’s no pressure to pass all the exams, so I’d be able to enjoy every minute and therefore, to learn more. Like, if the pressure of getting good grades didn’t exist, I think it’d be able to even like maths.

b) Would have more time to make homemade puff pastry (aka the best thing ever)… I don’t like storebought at all, but being as busy as I am these days, I have no time to get my self into business. So storebought puff pastry it is this time; it’s not quite as awesome as homemade, but boy, these tarts are amazingly delicious!

Have you noticed how I cannot write a single post in which I don’t complain about something? I’m so so whiny it’s not even funny.

But let’s talk tarts here. Because everybody loves tarts and there’s nothing to complain about them.

Not a single thing actually, because they’re tasty, buttery, not cloyingly sweet (seriously, what’s up with storebought apple baked goods? They’re so sweet they make my teeth hurt!), easy and super quick to make assuming you go the storebought route for the puff pastry, but please use homemade caramel, it’s even quicker than going to the store and it really makes a difference! You should totally make them if you’re looking for a way to use up some apples, or, mind you, caramel sauce. I made a huge batch of it last time and I’m still trying to come up with different ways to use it up. Any ideas? These are a perfect fall dessert. A busy student approved fall dessert, because these won’t take you much time to put together so you can go back to study soon (how nice does that sound? terrible, I know)… unless, of course, you prefer to reach for another tart and forget your homework. Textbooks can wait, apple tarts with warm salted caramel sauce can’t.

In order to make these, you’ll need a puff pastry sheet, some vanilla custard (I highly recommend using this recipe, but please don’t judge the pictures, that was one of the first recipes I posted and they are terrible!), apples and salted caramel sauce. As simple as that!

-Puff Pastry Apple Tarts with Salted Caramel Drizzle

Meal type Dessert
Misc Child Friendly, Pre-preparable, Serve Cold
Occasion Barbecue, Casual Party

Ingredients

• 1 puff pastry sheet
  • 2 apples (I used Fuji + Granny Smith)
  • 3/4 cups vanilla custard (link to recipe below)
  • 2-3 Tbsp. salted caramel sauce (link to recipe below)

Directions

Spread a layer of custard on top of the puff pastry sheet.
Arrange sliced apples on top.
Bake at 200ºC for 25-minutes or until apples and puff pastry look golden.
Drizzle with caramel sauce.

Note

I used this cream cheese vanilla custard.

You can find the recipe for the salted caramel sauce here.

You may use your favorite kind of apple, custard and caramel, but the ones I used are super easy to make and quick!

You can make a quick glaze using 1tbsp. apricot jam + 1 tsp. water to brush on top after baked. That will make them more shiny!

Enjoy your weekend!

Consuelo

• Reply El Rincón de las Especias, MªJosé October 18, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Hola Consuelo!!! Cuánto tiempo!!!
    Me han encantado estas “tartitas” de manzana!!! Vengo a traerte una propuesta de mi blog!!!
    Te propongo la creación de alguna receta en casdena… 🙂 sefuro que alguna vez te ha salido alguna de estas!!! será divertido para conocer nuevos ingredientes y recetas y sobre todo para ahorrar, que en estos tiempos…
    Muchos besos guapi!!

• Reply Consuelo October 18, 2013 at 11:43 pm

Pues no sé lo que es una receta en cadena, la verdad, pero si me lo explicas, estaré encantada de participar 😉

• Reply El Rincón de las Especias, MªJosé October 21, 2013 at 7:52 pm

e dejo el post donde lo explico….y las entradas siguientes son las recetas derivadas de ésta…así explicado parece un poco lío, pero si lo ves lo entenderás mejor…:)

• Reply Consuelo October 21, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Sí es un poco lío sí jajaja. Pero ahora en un rato lo miro 😉

• Reply caileejoy October 18, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Oh yum!! This looks so tasty! It’s amazing how good salt makes desserts! I just picked up some salted dark chocolate yesterday… soooo yummy!

• Reply Consuelo October 18, 2013 at 11:43 pm

Salted chocolate sounds amazing! Thank you ;D

• Reply cosicasdenuestravida October 18, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Ay María José!!’ Q bien me lo paso contigo!!!
    Estoy contigo…. Te entiendo !!! Mucho!! Jajajajjajaja
    Lola
    Pintaza de platos! A ver si me invitáis a algo….. Q salgo de aquí salivando!!!
    Teneis que poner las fotos en instagram!!!!

• Reply Dolega October 18, 2013 at 8:49 pm

¡¡Ahhh que razón tienes con esas guardias!!
    Me declaro culpable. Siempre pido un “botecito de orina” 😛
    Las tartaletas tienen pinta de estár de muerte lentaaaaaa.
    Besazo

• Reply Ashley October 18, 2013 at 10:33 pm

These tarts look perfect for this time of the year! Plus, anything with puff pastry, caramel and apples is bound to be delicious : ) Enjoy your weekend Consuelo!

• Reply Consuelo October 18, 2013 at 11:45 pm

Thank you so much, Ashley! Enjoy yours too 😉

• Reply danguole October 18, 2013 at 11:35 pm

Could not agree with your first paragraph! I love learning, hate deadlines and homework. I’d probably be in school forever if it weren’t for assignments.

These look gorgeous! Do you like goat cheese? I made very similar ones a few years back (no blog post unfortunately) with a layer of goat cheese beneath the apples. Crazy good!

• Reply Consuelo October 18, 2013 at 11:46 pm

Yeah, learning is beautiful, but deadlines and homework are so weary!
      Goat cheese? I love it, but I’d never thought of adding it… it sounds amazing, thanks for the fantastic idea 😀

• Reply makingthymeforhealth October 19, 2013 at 12:15 am

I feel the same way as you but mine is work instead of school. I’m always dreaming all of the delicious things I want to make in my kitchen but it has to wait until the weekend…when all I want to do is relax!

I would love to relax with one (or two or three) of these tarts. They look amazing! Seriously.

• Reply Consuelo October 19, 2013 at 9:13 am

Yeah, same here! At least it is Saturday and I now can bake (besides doing more homework, that is) yay!

• Reply Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner October 19, 2013 at 12:59 am

I never cared for homework and tests either. Who does? 😉 I’m drooling over these tarts! Pinning and I’m seriously making this soon. 🙂

• Reply Consuelo October 19, 2013 at 9:14 am

Aww thank you so much, Tina! Let me know how you like them 😀

• Reply Consuelo October 19, 2013 at 9:17 am

Aww thank you so much, Tina! Let me know how you like them 🙂

• Reply shannonroche October 19, 2013 at 1:22 am

These are so lovely. Congratulations with the end of harvest and I hope your tests end soon too!

• Reply Consuelo October 19, 2013 at 9:18 am

Thank you so much, Shannon! Have a lovely weekend 🙂

• Reply Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen October 19, 2013 at 1:42 am

Beautiful apple tarts, Consuelo! Oh, girl…I am with you. Store bought apple pies, etc. are so sickening sweet. And, yes…what is it with only 24 hours in a day? Doesn’t our Creator know bakers need more hours in the day to accomplish baking as well as everything else in life? 😉 Hope school is going well for you, girl. Glad harvest time is over for you. Enjoy your weekend! xo

• Reply Consuelo October 19, 2013 at 9:19 am

Yeah 30 hours long days would be awesome haha 😉 Thank you so so much, Stacy! You too have a wonderful weekend 🙂

• Reply Chocolate Shavings October 19, 2013 at 3:34 am

These look delicious — and they’re so pretty!

• Reply Consuelo October 19, 2013 at 9:19 am

Thank you so so much! x

• Reply Monet October 19, 2013 at 5:12 am

Simple yet beautiful…and certainly delicious! I wish I had a slice in front of me now. I hope you have a BEAUTIFUL and relaxing weekend. You deserve it!

• Reply Consuelo October 19, 2013 at 9:24 am

Thank you so much Monet! I hope you all are having a really lovely one as well 🙂

• Reply Consuelo October 19, 2013 at 9:27 am

Thank you so much Monet! I hope you all are having a really lovely one as well :))

• Reply Ruby @ The Ruby Red Apron October 19, 2013 at 5:13 am

I love your point of view on homework and exams. Learning would definitely be more enjoyable without them. And I’ve definitely forgotten everything I learned! That’s not too good, is it? hahaha If I had homework right now I would definitely trade it for these apple tarts! They’re gorgeous!

• Reply Consuelo October 19, 2013 at 9:28 am

Yeah, I find them a bit useless to be honest! I wish I could exchange my homework for another tart too, but I’m out of them now :(( Have a great weekend!

• Reply blahnikbaker October 19, 2013 at 6:08 am

So yummy!! Salted caramel and apples is always a great combination. I’ve never made puff pastry at home but now I need to find a good homemade recipe. Hope you have a great weekend and don’t stress about homework too much. It will always be there lol.

• Reply Consuelo October 19, 2013 at 9:30 am

Yeah, try homemade puff pastry soon! It’s the best thing ever! Thank you, Zainab, I hope you have a lovely weekend as well 🙂

• Reply Kammie October 19, 2013 at 7:10 am

Ohh my gosh, apples + caramel = such a heavenly combination. I love this recipe

• Reply Consuelo October 19, 2013 at 9:30 am

Thank you so much!
      p.s: I can’t go into your blog because the page won’t load, is there any problem or somethin? x

• Reply Kammie October 19, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Oh no, that’s so weird- it’s working fine for me o.O

• Reply Consuelo October 19, 2013 at 10:10 pm

It must be my wifi connection then, it won’t load Davida’s blog either! 🙁

• Reply Karen October 19, 2013 at 10:26 am

This is a wonderful way to use some of the apples from our orchard…lovely.

• Reply Consuelo October 19, 2013 at 11:05 am

Homegrown apples sound so great. Thanks, Karen! 🙂

• Reply Monica October 19, 2013 at 4:40 pm

haha…I feel you on the homework though it’s been a long time since I had that problem! It’ll be over one day soon! : ) And there’s absolutely nothing wrong with venting and sharing your feelings – that’s what your own blog space is for, right! Kudos to you for finding time (and energy) to make these wonderful desserts. I have never made puff pastry from scratch…I’m sure it’s wonderful but I’m thankful for the shortcut. Your apple tart really looks beautiful and that vanilla custard sounds delish!

• Reply Consuelo October 19, 2013 at 10:09 pm

I’m so looking forward to the day when homework is finally over! I hope you get to try homemade puff pastry, it’s truly amazing! Thank you so much, Monica 🙂

• Reply holly ; the hobbit kitchen October 19, 2013 at 5:49 pm

these look absolutely gorgeous! and yeeeeeees, salted caramel is the very best thing – great addition! 🙂

• Reply Consuelo October 19, 2013 at 10:10 pm

Thank you so much, Holly! 😉

• Reply Laurel y Menta October 19, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Maravilloso!!: dos de nuestros ingredientes favoritos en repostería juntos!! Bueno, 3: la salsita nos encanta también. Qué bien ha quedado, apetecible a tope…
    Ay, cómo nos hemos reído con tu “crónica”..
    Esperando con ansia los croissants….
    Besitos.

• Reply marcie@flavorthemoments October 19, 2013 at 7:27 pm

These tarts look amazing! I don’t know how you have enough time in the week to do all of these blog posts, cook delicious food, take beautiful photos, along with your homework and running. You’re superhuman, Consuelo!

• Reply Consuelo October 19, 2013 at 10:14 pm

Aww, your comment made me smile, thank you so much! I guess it’s because I enjoy everything I’m doing at the moment 😉 I don’t really know, but thanks, Marcie! x

• Reply Amy @ Swiss Miss in the Kitchen October 19, 2013 at 8:20 pm

mmmmhhh… Puff pastry, apples and salted caramel sounds awesome!!! I love everything about this tarts!!
    xox and a wonderful sunday dear!
    Amy

• Reply Consuelo October 19, 2013 at 10:14 pm

Thank you so much, Amy! You too have a lovely Sunday 🙂 x

• Reply Christin@SpicySouthernKitchen October 19, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Looks delicious Consuelo! And the pictures are gorgeous. Are you using your new camera?

• Reply Consuelo October 19, 2013 at 10:14 pm

Yes, I am! Thank you Christin 🙂

• Reply Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life October 20, 2013 at 1:21 am

Hehe, no homework … what a concept:) And this cake … what a concept! Apples and puff pastry! Sounds amazing, Consuelo! And I totally forgive you for using store bought:) The thought of making my own makes my eyes roll back in my head! This, I can do … and eat, like a lot of!

• Reply Consuelo October 20, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Wouldn’t it be amazing to go to school and have no homework? Hahaha, I hope you like these, Mary Frances. Thanks!

• Reply Aimee / Wallflower Girl October 20, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Ooh how did I miss this recipe? Sounds like heaven! Especially with that salted caramel…

• Reply Consuelo October 20, 2013 at 10:53 pm

Isn’t salted caramel amazing! I’ve juust made some ice-cream with the jar I had left yay! Thanks 🙂

• Reply thecupcakeconfession October 21, 2013 at 7:37 pm

I need to take time management lessons from you Consuelo! You’re amazing! 🙂 And this tart looks soooooooo good! Apple and salted caramel are like a match made in heaven and to put them on crisp buttery puff pastry? Im lovinggggg it! 🙂 OH PS: I soooooo wish there’d be no exams too! Don’t they realize they’ll be saving a tonne of trees by making just one simple move – scrap exams altogether?????

• Reply Consuelo October 21, 2013 at 10:17 pm

I don’t think you’d want time managements lessons from me, though! 😉 YEAH, let’s save the trees!!!!

• Reply Amy @ Elephant Eats October 23, 2013 at 6:15 pm

These look so delicious! I love using puff pastry. It’s so easy but looks so professional and tastes so buttery!! 🙂

• Reply Consuelo October 24, 2013 at 12:28 pm

It does indeed! Thank you 😀

• Reply Galeteria October 24, 2013 at 10:20 pm

Me encantan los postres con manzana y este me parece super original y con una presentación de 10!! Tengo que probar el caramelo salado que lo he visto en muchas recetas pero nunca me animo…

Un abrazo!!

• Reply Consuelo October 24, 2013 at 10:58 pm

Sí, sí, anímate. Es super fácil de hacer, y sabe de lujo. Muchas gracias 😀

• Reply Sweet & Simple Caramel Apple Tart | Marx Recipes November 27, 2014 at 5:04 am

[…] by Honey & Figs | Adapted from Just a […]